Our assessor Dr. Rolf Schenk –
expert in paintings, drawings, sculptures and silver
Dr. Rolf Schenk, Managing Director of the Kunstsalon Franke-Schenk, is an expert in paintings, drawings, sculptures and silver. He provides expert reports in Germany for tax advisors, estate administrators, lawyers, in court and also in Switzerland for notary offices.
An art historian, Dr. Rolf Schenk began working as an art dealer in 1979 at the Galerie Carroll in Munich. After his doctorate in art history in 1981, he moved to Zurich to work for the Koller auction house and the Jörg Stuker gallery in Bern. In 1984 he founded the Galerie Dr. Schenk in Zurich.
From 1984 to 1993 Dr. Rolf Schenk dealt mainly with painting of the 18th to 20th centuries and managed internationally ranking Swiss artists such as Cuno Amiet, Albert Anker, Francois Diday, Giovanni Giacometti and Augusto Giacometti, Ferdinand Hodler and Giovanni Segantini as well as Gottardo Segantini.
From 1992 a close collaboration developed with Kunstsalon Franke, which was followed by a merger with the Kunstsalon Franke-Schenk in Munich. Dr. Rolf Schenk is also a member of the committee of the German art trade association (Deutscher Kunsthandelsverband e. V.).
Since 1978 Dr. Rolf has compiled the following scholarly catalogues:
- ‘Klassizistische Zeichnungen des 18. u. 19. Jahrhunderts und Bildnisbüsten’ [classical drawings of the 18th and 19th centuries and portrait busts] (1978)
- ‘Englische Architekturzeichnungen des Klassizismus 1760-1830’ [English architectural drawings from the classical period 1760–1830] (1980)
- ‘Der Münchner Maler Johann Georg Edlinger. Monographie’ [the Munich painter Johann Georg Edlinger - a monograph] (1981)
- ‘Landschaft und Staffage - ihre Beziehung im Wandel der Zeit’ [Landscape and staffage – their changing relationship over time] (1986)
- ‘Das Porträt als Bildnis und als Landschaft. Zum Individuellen in der künstlerischen Darstellung’ [the portrait as likeness and as landscape - on individuality in artistic representation] (1988)
- ‘Schweizer Malerei. 70 Gemälde vom 18. bis 20. Jahrhundert’ [Swiss painting. 70 paintings from the 18th to the 20th centuries] (1991)
- ‘Historien- und Landschaftsbilder aus fünf Jahrhunderten’ [History and landscape paintings from five centuries] (2002)
- ‘Hundert Jahre Kunstsalon Franke-Schenk. 1913 – 2013’ 2 Bände [A hundred years of the Kunstsalon Franke-Schenk. 1913-2013. 2 volumes] (2013).